I was asked that question today and these are the tasks I understand to be my duty as a DevOp engineer.
- systems administration
- operations and monitoring
- (re-) engineering of infrastructure and system environments
- understanding applications from developers
- make developers understand security and systems
- being the bridge between code and system
- quality assurance
- use Agile methods to build and deploy new systems (we're talking about Continuous Deployments here)
- use centralized/programmable configuration management (Ansible, chef, puppet, ..)
- troubleshoot incidents (performance issues, hack attacks, etc)
- write and review documentations
As mentioned above, a DevOp is the bridge between the code and the systems. This image (found on http://stackify.com/defining-the-ops-in-devops/) shows that part very well:
No comments yet.
AWS Android Ansible Apple Atlassian BSD Backup Bash Bluecoat CMS Chef Cloud Container Containers CouchDB DB DNS Database Databases Docker ELK ElasticSearch Elasticsearch Filebeat FreeBSD GlusterFS Grafana Graphics HAProxy HTML Hacks Hardware Icinga Icingaweb2 InfluxDB Internet Java Kibana Kubernetes LXC Linux Logstash Mac Macintosh Mail MariaDB Minio MongoDB Monitoring Multimedia MySQL NFS Nagios Network Nginx OSSEC OTRS PGSQL PHP Perl Personal PostgreSQL Postgres PowerDNS Proxmox Proxy Rancher SSL Security Shell SmartOS Solaris Surveillance SystemD TLS Tomcat Ubuntu Unix VMware Varnish Virtualization Windows Wireless Wordpress Wyse ZFS Zoneminder